Update on Lake Burton Water QualityIn the 2021 survey of our members, Water Quality was the number one concern. We heard you! Just because the water at our beautiful lake is down, the Board has kept up their efforts to fight for you and the lake.
Here is a brief update on some of the highlights of our efforts as it relates to Water Quality:
- Murray Cove: Despite our best efforts in litigation against it, they will soon break ground on a storage facility at the corner of Murray Cove Road and Bridge Creek Road. Friends of Murray Cove Group and LBCA have spoken to an environmental firm that has seen the construction plans and judged those current plans to be a major environmental issue. We will keep pushing against the construction of this facility.
- Moccasin Creek: Construction before and after The Boat Shop and storage facility on the lake have caused considerable erosion and silt issues. We understand the EPD, Georgia Power, and Rabun County are aware of this issue.
- Tallulah River North of the Bridge: There are LBCA members who have a lawsuit pending against The Waterfall Club. The lawsuit asserts the golf club did not properly permit and protect against silt and chemical runoff from the most recent golf course renovation. The suit claims more than 1,400 cubic yards of silt has entered the lake.
- Wildcat Creek/"Burton": Phase one of this residential development will have 17 homes, a Clubhouse (formerly Kastner's store), a pool, and ten short-term boat slips. Most lots are sold, and construction begins in the next few weeks.
With all these recent developments on our lake, our Board has called in some professional environmental assistance to help us monitor water quality. Lake Burton is in the headwaters of the Savannah River. The Savannah Riverkeeper, a 501(c)(3), has agreed to begin working with the LBCA for the following:
1) Hire a Savannah Riverkeeper employee who will live locally.
2) Work with state and local government to ensure compliance with permits, etc., and follow up on non-compliance.
The LBCA Board approved a donation to support and partner with the Savannah Riverkeeper's work.
About Savannah Riverkeeper
Please visit their website here if you want to learn more about this organization. If you'd like to support Savannah Riverkeeper and its mission to restore, protect and educate, you can do so via the following link.
Preserving Our Beloved Burton
We love Lake Burton and want to protect it for future generations. We see this as a necessary step in preserving the Burton legacy.
Thank you for being an engaged member of the LBCA. We will continue to keep you updated on our progress in this regard.
See you on the lake!